From 5 - 10 August 2018, Disability Sports Australia (DSA) will host the GIO 2018 IWRF Wheelchair Rugby World Championship (GIO 2018 IWRF WRWC), at Sydney Olympic Park.
The GIO 2018 IWRF WRWC will see the world's best twelve (12) nations compete for the title of World Champion. Competing nations include: Australia, Canada, Colombia, Denmark, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, Poland, Sweden and USA.
- This is the first time the IWRF Wheelchair Rugby World Championship has been held in Australia.
- Wheelchair rugby is a mixed sport, with both males and females playing on the same team.
- The GIO 2018 IWRF WRWC will be the biggest disability sporting event to be held in Sydney since the 2000 Paralympic Games.
- Wheelchair Rugby is a full medal Paralympic Sport.
- The Australian Wheelchair Rugby Team - The Steelers are the reigning World and Paralympic Champions.
Rules and Regulations
The Rules and Regulations, along with information about the sport and classifications, for wheelchair rugby can be found here from the International Wheelchair Rugby Federation (IWRF).
Sun 5 August: Family Fun Day and Opening Ceremony
Sun 5 - Thu 9 August: Competition
Fri 10 August: Finals Day and Closing Ceremony & Medal Presentation
Livestream and Filming
All matches of the GIO 2018 IWRF WRWC will be filmed and livestreamed. The livestream will be available here.